Here’s a simple activity you can do for spring or St Patrick’s Day! Make this rainbow suncatcher craft with kids for a fun activity that requires no mess. And it’s easy for kids to make with our free printable template you can get at the bottom of the post.
RELATED: Heart Suncatcher
Rainbow Suncatcher Craft
Decorate your windows with these beautiful rainbows!
These suncatchers only require a few materials that you might already have on hand. You only need laminating paper, tissue paper, scissors and our free printable rainbow template. You can also draw your own rainbow template too!
Watch the Video Tutorial Here!
Supplies Needed To Make Rainbow Suncatchers
- Tissue Paper or Square Tissue Paper Pieces
- Clear Contact Paper or Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets
- White Cardstock
- Free Printable Template – you can get the template at the bottom of the post
Instructions For Making a Rainbow Suncatcher
1. Print off the free printable rainbow template.
You can get the template at the bottom of the post.
You can also draw your own rainbow on black construction paper and cut them out as an outline too.
Kids can also just create the rainbow shape themselves with the tissue paper.
2. Cut up your tissue paper into small squares.
We used red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for the rainbow. But you can use any colors you’d like!
You can also find tissue paper that comes in pre-cut squares.
Save your tissue paper from gifts because you can re-use it to make any kind of suncatchers like these!
3. Cut out the template.
You’ll need to cut around the black outline and inside the rainbow.
For the inside, just bend the paper slightly and then make a cut mark to get inside this area.
Note – cutting out the templates can be tricky for little ones. Have an adult help with this step. You can also have kids draw their own rainbows on black construction paper. Kids can also just lay the tissue paper down themselves in a rainbow shape without a template.
4. Next, place a self-laminating paper or Contact paper sticky side up on the table.
Place your rainbow template black side down so that the white part is showing. This is so that when you cut it out, you’ll see the black on top of the tissue paper.
5. Start to add the tissue paper on the sticky laminating paper.
Don’t worry if your tissue paper goes outside of the lines, this will get trimmed later.
Keep filling until your rainbow design is filled with tissue paper.
We followed the shape of the rainbow, but kids can add thicker lines with less colors too.
6. Carefully lay another piece of contact paper or self-laminating paper on top of the rainbow, sticky side down.
Slowly smooth it out to get rid of any creases or air bubbles.
7. Cut out your suncatchers.
8. Use tape or sticky adhesive dots (like glue dots) to stick to the window.
We love how bright and colorful these suncatchers look in the window! Kids will love to make these and display them when they are done.
Share a Comment!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked *
1 thought on “Rainbow Suncatcher”
Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! Thank you!