With the weather starting to get cooler, it’s a perfect time to make an indoor fall craft. This owl handprint is the perfect autumn craft! And we love that this owl craft can double as a keepsake that you can gift or keep yourself!
RELATED: Handprint Tree
This owl craft is such a fun one to make! Kids will love making the owls from their handprint and adding feathers to them. The tree branches are also really fun to make!
Supplies Needed to Make this Handprint Owl Craft
- Blue, Orange, Yellow and Green cardstock
- Brown Paint
- White Cardstock – 12×12 size to fit the tree branches
Owl Craft for Kids
1. First, make your tree and branches by taking strips of newspaper and rolling them up to the size you’d like them to be. Make your trunk much wider than your branches. Scrunch up the paper when you’re rolling them to give the tree trunk and branches a little bit of depth.
Tape or glue your newspaper to your white 12×12 cardstock.
You can paint the branches and tree after you have placed them on your paper or you can paint your newspaper before you place on your paper. For more advanced painters and older kids it may be easier to paint after you place the newspaper down. For younger kids it would be easier to have them paint the newspaper first and then make your tree and branches.
2. Trace your handprints and glue to your branches. You can also make your owls first and then glue them at the end.
To make your owl, you’ll also need:
- 2 white eyes (we traced around a glue stick for size).
- A small beak – use yellow cardstock and draw a triangle. Fold it over and then cut it out and glue to your owl.
- Cut out two small triangles for the owl’s ears and glue behind the handprint.
- Draw small eyes with a black marker or sharpie.
- Glue your feathers to the thumb and pinky finger.
3. For a finishing touch, cut out 4 leaves from your green cardstock and glue to your paper.
We love the way this simple owl craft turned out! You can make the owls any colors you’d like! We love the way the orange and blue look together but you could also do pink and blue or orange and red for Fall colors.
For teachers, you can make a large display of owls and get the kids to help create the tree and branches from newspaper.
Watch the full video tutorial here before you get started!
More Fall Crafts for Kids
– Fall Bucket List with Leaf Garland
This handprint tree makes a beautiful keepsake or Fall decoration! You can even make this for the Thanksgiving table.
For another adorable handprint craft, see how to make these handprint flamingos. Perfect for the flamingo fan in the family!
Share a Comment!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked *