This snow dough recipe is the softest dough you will ever make! It only requires 2 ingredients which you probably already have on hand. This is a fun winter activity for kids!
RELATED: Cloud Dough
Snow Dough Recipe
This is a great recipe to make if you’ve never made playdough before. It’s really easy to make since it’s only 2 main ingredients and no cooking required! Kids also love the texture of this playdough. It’s the softest playdough you will ever try!
We also love that this dough is gluten free.
For our traditional playdough recipe, see it here.
If you want to add colors to this dough, see our post on how to make cloud dough.
If you want to make fake snow, we have a fake snow recipe.
How To Make Snow Dough
This is a no cook playdough recipe. It’s perfect if you want to make some playdough and you don’t have access to a stove top or kettle. The mixture comes together easily in 5 minutes (it’s fast!).
This is also gluten free!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Lotion (you can also replace lotion with conditioner, however we found the lotion keeps the dough longer)
- Iridescent glitter (optional) – you can get eco-friendly glitter
- Use snowflake cookie cutters to make snowflake shapes!
How do I store snow dough?
To help your dough to last as long as possible, it’s important to keep it as airtight as possible so that it doesn’t dry out. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container to help it stay soft. If you find that it has become a little dry, you can add a little bit of extra lotion and knead it in.
How do I keep the dough soft?
First wrap your dough in saran wrap then store in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag. You’ll notice that dough will dry out if exposed to air – so the less air that can get to the dough when storing, the longer it will last!
How do you make the dough soft again?
If your dough dries out or turns out to be a little dry after making it, try adding in a little more lotion. If the dough is too sticky after making it, add a little bit more cornstarch.
How long does it last?
This dough will not last as long as our traditional playdough recipe. The lotion will start to dry out from it within a week. However, you can easily revive it by just adding a few extra squirts of lotion to it and kneading it in. This will make it almost like brand new again.
Snow Dough Recipe
- 1/2 cup lotion *body, hand or baby lotion
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Add 1/2 cup of lotion to a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of cornstarch and mix.
- Mix until combined. You want the dough to be formed into a ball and not sticky before removing from the bowl.
- Then take out the dough and place on some wax paper. Knead with your hands. Keep kneading until it forms a dough-like consistency. If it's still too sticky add another tablespoon of cornstarch. Keep kneading until it is no longer sticky and is soft.
- Sprinkle some glitter on (optional) and knead in.
Once your dough is finished, use snowflake cookie cutters and rolling pins to play with it!
To store: simply put the playdough in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container to help it last longer. If the dough dries out, add a few extra squirts of lotion to it and knead back in.