It’s officially December now and Christmas is just around the corner. Have you had fun trying some of our Christmas crafts? If you’re looking for some fun and easy craft ideas be sure to see our post which has over 50+ Christmas Crafts for Kids. Today we’re going to share a really fun Christmas Eve tradition idea with you – a Christmas Eve Box!
Watch the full tutorial video here before you get started!
Christmas Eve Box
We first learned about this tradition this year and thought it was such a fun idea we wanted to do a tutorial on how to make your own personalized Christmas Eve box. We have also included FREE PRINTABLES of a Santa Letter, Reindeer Food and Snowman Soup for you to print out and make your box extra special!
What is a Christmas Eve Box?
A Christmas Eve Box is a small box or crate gifted to your children the day before Christmas. It can also be given the day after Thanksgiving or the first day of December. It can be filled with whatever goodies you like! This often becomes a yearly tradition and makes the night before Christmas something special to look forward to! We love how this makes Christmas even more magical and fun for your little ones.
What To Put In A Christmas Eve Box
The options are endless on what you can put in your Xmas Eve Box, but here are just a few of our favorite ideas:
- Christmas Movie
- Christmas Book
- Reindeer Food (you can grab the Reindeer Food, Snowman Soup & Letter from Santa free printables at the bottom of this post)
- Snowman Soup
- Letter from Santa
- Playing Cards
- Candy Canes
- Small Christmas Toy
- Cookie Decorating Kit
- Christmas Stuffed Animal
- Christmas Coloring Book
- Christmas Cup
- Christmas Craft Kit – or grab the supplies from one of these easy and fun Christmas Crafts for Kids
- A Personalized Christmas book with your child’s name
- An Ornament – or make one of these easy Salt Dough Ornaments
Here are some ideas from our readers:
“I put in Christmas PJ’s, a Christmas book and DVD, a Christmas cup, popcorn and coloring book or dot to dot. I keep the same box every year and stick a photo of that year inside the lid. Then after Christmas, I use the boxes for decorations. This year I’m also putting in a little decoration each so they can start their own collection.” – Daniela
“We’ve started doing this the last few years. They get new pajamas, a film and they get some Christmas crafts to do. Also a little Christmas cuddly to have to cuddle with during the film and a new tree decoration.” – Jodie
How to Make a Christmas Eve Box
Here are the supplies you’ll need to make your own Christmas Eve Crate:
-Ornament or Embellishment for the Box
-Items to put inside your xmas eve box like PJ’s, movie, book, popcorn, and our free printables you can grab at the bottom of this post
–Paper shred filler or other filler to put in the box
-Clear Treat Tags for your reindeer food and snowman soup
For the santa letter: envelope & paper
How To Make Your Christmas Eve Box
If you’d rather not make your own you can get lots of personalized Christmas Eve boxes here.
1. Using your stencils (we purchased ones like these), paint on the words “CHRISTMAS EVE BOX” to your crate. Use very little paint and dab very lightly to avoid bleeding through the stencil. We love that the crate is rustic looking so the letters don’t have to look perfect!
2. Glue on your ornament decoration to the box. We found this snowman ornament from Michaels but you could use a large ribbon or any other Christmas embellishment.
3. Make your reindeer food and snowman soup! Skip down to the bottom of this post to grab your free printables.
To make the reindeer food: Mix oats and red & green sprinkles and add to a treat bag. Staple your free printable treat tag on top.
Note: when sprinkling outside, be sure to sprinkle on a deck or patio so you can sweep up afterwards. This ensures no wildlife accidentally eat the reindeer food.
To make the snowman soup: Add in your hot cocoa mix, handful of mini marshmallows and a candy cane to your bag and staple your treat tag on top.
4. Fold your letter from Santa and place in an envelope. Grab the free printable letter from Santa at the bottom of this post.
5. Now add all of your elements into your crate! PJs, movie, book, snowman soup, reindeer food, etc
Download the Free Christmas Eve Box Printables by subscribing to our free mailing list!
In order to access the free Reindeer Food, Snowman Soup and Letter from Santa printables- you just need to subscribe to our free mailing list! You’ll gain access to all of our free printables and stay up to date on all the Best Ideas for Kids!
Once you’ve subscribed below, head over to your email to confirm your subscription. Once you click “confirm” you’ll be taken to a page which has the link to access all of our free printables. Make sure you read this confirmation page carefully so you don’t miss the link to our free printables. Feel free to contact us if you have any issues!
Want more fun Christmas ideas? See over 50+ Christmas Crafts for Kids!
And for some adorable keepsake ideas – see over 25+ Salt Dough Ornament Ideas.