Just in time for Christmas – this is a really easy and fun craft fort he kids. Learn how to make this pretty and glittery Salt Dough Handprint Ornament to place on your Christmas Tree! What I love most about this Salt Dough Handprint Ornament is that it’s made from all ingredients you have in your kitchen! And because of this it’s completely safe and non-toxic for the little ones to work with.
If you’re looking for another ornament to make with the kids – also check out our Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornaments. They are so easy and fun to make!
Be sure to watch the video tutorial here before getting started!
Salt Dough Handprint Ornaments
With Christmas coming up, I love focusing my crafts on the holiday season. I have always seen Salt Dough Handprint Ornaments before and thought they were a really nice way to make a memory of your little ones hand and cherish on the Christmas tree. You could easily make a new one every year and have a nice memento for the Christmas tree you can compare each year! Simply add the year on the back of the Salt Dough Handprint Ornament to keep track of the different years.
My little one especially liked making this easy Salt Dough Handprint Ornament. Part of the fun is them being able to stamp their hand into the Salt Dough! This was one of the best parts. My son also had fun decorating the Salt Dough Handprint Ornament by painting it. Of course if you want a really nice keepsake – you may want to make a few extras to paint one that is fully painted (my son’s only got half painted).
The sky is really the limit for decorating this Salt Dough Handprint Ornament. We decided to paint it red using acrylic red paint but you could choose green or even silver or gold. Then you can decide to leave the handprint portion of the salt dough ornament either natural, or you could paint this a different colour or use glue and add glitter to it like we did. There’s so many different ways to decorate this ornament! Another idea is you could apply some glitter stickers around the outside of the handprint also.
Be sure to follow us on Instagram so you’ll never miss a new craft or activity!
How to Make a Salt Dough Handprint Ornament
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1.5 cups water
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine all of your ingredients and knead for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness that you'd like your salt dough ornament to be.
- Using a large cookie cutter, cut out different shapes for your salt dough ornament.
- Have your child place their hand into the salt dough ornament.
- Using a straw, make a hole in the top for where you want to hang your salt dough ornament.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If you encounter too much puffing, reduce the temperature to 200 degrees and bake for 1 hour. Alternatively, roll out thinner ornaments and this will help reduce the puffing. If the ornament is still a bit doughy, bake for longer or let sit out a few days to harden before decorating.
- Once cool, you can decorate by painting with acrylic or kids paint.
- To make the hand glittery, fill the space with glue then sprinkle glitter on top of the glue, shake off the excess and let it dry.
Recipe Adapted from Allrecipes.com
There you go – that’s all it takes to make your very own Salt Dough Handprint Ornament. Pretty easy, right?
Looking for more Christmas fun activities and crafts for the kids?
Check out this mesmerizing and fun Snow Globe sensory bottle.
These popsicle stick snowflake ornaments are so easy to make and the kids can help decorate them!
We also love these cute and fun to play with (also non-toxic!) Playdough Christmas Trees!This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. All activities should be supervised by an adult. Please read our Site Terms for more information.