Potato stamping is a fun alternative to using paintbrushes. If you have any soft potatoes – this is the perfect activity to do with them! You can carve any shapes you want into the potatoes but using cookie cutters is an easy method to make shapes!
Related: Pumpkin Apple Stamping
How to Make Potato Stamps
We used these fall cookie cutters.
Make your potato printing art fall themed by using yellow, red and orange paints. You can even use colored ink instead of paint.
Watch the Video Tutorial!
Potato Stamping the Easy Way
Here’s what you’ll need to make your potato stamps:
- A large potato
- Cookie cutters – preferably ones like these that we used which have an imprint in them and will create more of a design when you stamp them
How to Make a Potato Stamp
1. First cut your potato in half.
Then press your cookie cutter into the potato as far as you can. Make sure the imprint portion of the cutter goes into the potato. If it doesn’t, flip the potato over and push down hard over top the potato.
2. Now carefully cut around the edge of the cookie cutter (adults only) to leave a portion of potato sticking out where the cookie cutter was.
3. Peel away this excess portion of the potato.
4. Now your potato stamps are ready. Look how pretty they look!
Here is the acorn potato stamp we made:
Here is a leaf potato stamp:
5. Add a little bit of paint to your stamp.
Don’t add too much or the features won’t show up.
Now have fun potato stamping away! You can make stamped cards, wrapping paper, or just plain print art.
Here are some more painting activities for kids: