Shrinky Dink Footprint Keychain
Mother’s Day is coming up, and we’ve already shared these adorable handprint salt dough keepsakes that would be perfect to make for Mom or Grandma! But today we’re sharing these even more adorable shrinky dink footprint keychain craft!
Watch the full tutorial video here before you get started!
We have seen shrinky dink keychain ideas before but never with an adorable footprint. We wanted to create something for Mother’s Day that would make a lovely keepsake, but also be fun for Spring. And what’s more beautiful and spring-like than a butterfly?
Here are the materials you’ll need to make a shrinky dink footprint keychain:
- Shrinky Dink Pack – we used the frosted pack but clear would be perfect too!
- Gloss acrylic craft paint – note GLOSS is required as we tried non-gloss and the paint flaked off
- Paint Brush
- Mod Podge
- 24 mm split rings
- Black Sharpie
Directions to Make a DIY Shrinky Dink Footprint Keychain
- First, paint your child’s foot. Cover completely so the footprint will show up without any missing spots.
2) Place one foot on the Shrinky Dink plastic. Press down firmly to get a good imprint.
3. Do both sides and make opposite footprints to form the wings of the butterfly.
4. Wait for the paint to dry completely and then draw in the center of the butterfly with a black sharpie.
5. Allow the sharpie to dry, then you can cut around your butterfly. Be sure to leave a spot to hole punch for where your keychain will attach. Remember to punch the hole before you bake!
6. Now bake according to the Shrinky Dink package directions. Place paint side up in the oven and on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Great tip from Grey House Harbor: If your keychains come out a little curled, immediately press them with a spatula when warm to flatten them out.
7. Paint on gloss mod podge on the side of the paint to protect it from scraping off.
8. Once cool, now the final step is to add your keychains!
And that’s it! You have your final shrinky dink footprint keychains! You can also just do regular handprint and footprints too.
If you’re looking for a card for Mom or for a birthday card idea, check out this tutorial on these adorable handprint butterfly cards.
Looking for more footprint and handprint craft ideas? Check out these ideas too!
Handprint Salt Dough Craft – this is so pretty and such a nice keepsake!
Footprint Heart Craft – this is too sweet! Make a heart out of any type of candy. We used conversation hearts but you could use buttons or any other material to surround the heart.