If you’re looking for a fun unicorn party activity idea or unicorn favor idea – these unicorn slime jars are so fun to make! They would also make a great gift idea for the unicorn fan. You can easily make these unicorn mason jars and fill them with anything. However, turning them into unicorn slime jars is a lot of fun and then you can re-use the jars after or keep them to store your slime.
RELATED: Unicorn Fluffy Slime
Unicorn Slime Jars
If you don’t want to put slime inside these unicorn mason jars you can paint the outside of the jar instead. Be sure to apply a spray primer to make the painting easier (we like this brand). Adults should apply the primer and then kids can help paint the jars.
If you want to put slime inside you can buy slime or make your own homemade slime.
First we’ll show you how to make the unicorn mason jars. You can make one with eyes or without eyes. We like both versions! The one with the unicorn eyes we put white slime inside and the plain ones we added some glitter slime inside.
Unicorn Mason Jar Supplies
- Small Mason Jars (we found ours at Michaels)
- Small paper flowers (we got ours in the scrapbooking section at Michaels)
- Gold Glitter Paper
- Sharpie or Oil Based Paint Pen
- Stiff White Felt
- Glue Dots or Hot Glue
How to Make Unicorn Mason Jars
First, let’s walk through the steps to make your unicorn mason jars.
1. Cut out a horn from your gold glitter paper. Glue this to the lid of the jar. You can use either glue dots or hot glue (adults only).
Tip: Make sure you glue when the lid is on since when you put it back on you’ll want to make sure it is lined up to where you want to draw your eyes.
2. Make your unicorn ears by cutting out small ears from white felt. Then cut out an inner piece from your gold glitter paper and glue this to the felt.
Glue the ears to your lid using glue dots or hot glue (adults only).
3. Then glue on your paper flowers. We found paper flowers that already had rhinestones on them and we loved the way this looked. If your paper flowers don’t have small rhinestones in the center you can buy these separately and glue them on.
Glue on your flowers with glue dots or hot glue (adults only).
4. If you’re making the white slime jar, the final step is to draw on your eyes. Use an oil-based paint pen or sharpie to draw on the eyes.
Now to make the slime that will go inside your jar!
We have two easy to follow unicorn slime recipes we have linked at the bottom of this post. We’ll walk you through how to make the white slime.
We made 3 different slimes for these jars:
- 2 versions of glitter slime
- 1 white slime
Safety Tips: Adults only should make the slime and handle all chemicals. Do not substitute any ingredients in our slime recipes. If you have sensitive skin, wear gloves while playing with the slime. Always wash hands before and after use. If you notice any skin irritation discontinue use immediately. See the bottom of the post for more safety precautions before making the slime.
How to Make Unicorn Slime (White Slime for Unicorn Mason Jars)
We’ll walk you through how to make this simple, stretchy white slime to put inside your unicorn mason jars. If you’d like to make the glitter slime instead, follow our Unicorn Slime Recipe.
Watch the full tutorial video here before you get started!
Supplies for White Slime Recipe
- White Elmers Glue – 6 oz – we like to get the Gallon size
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon contact lens solution
Slime Recipe to Make White Slime for Unicorn Slime Jars
1. Get a bowl to mix your slime ingredients in.
2. Pour 6 oz of Elmer’s white glue into the bowl.
3. Add your 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and mix.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix. Note – if you want the slime to be more stretchy you can add another tablespoon of water.
5. Add in 1 tablespoon of contact lens solution. Take this step as slowly as possible so you do not over-activate the slime (which makes the slime harder and not as stretchy). We like to add 1/2 tablespoon to start and then mix. Measure out the other 1/2 tablespoon and slowly add this in. Only add in as much as you need for the slime to pull away from the bowl.
Take the slime out of the bowl and knead for 5-10 minutes. The slime will be very sticky still at this point. That’s normal! If you still find it too sticky after using the full tablespoon of contact lens solution, add some lotion to your hands and then knead some more.
We hope you enjoy making these unicorn slime jars! You can use these unicorn mason jars to hold your slime and the slime should last at least one week. Just make sure the jar is air tight.
Slime Safety & Precautions
Note: Making slime is a science experiment and safety precautions should still be made when creating slime. By making this slime, you agree to our site terms which you can read here.
- Adults should handle any chemicals and products
- Adults should make the slime
- Always read and follow the labels of products used. If contact lens solution is accidentally ingested, seek medical attention immediately.
- This project is not suitable for children under 4.
- Slime should not be placed in the mouth. Always wash hands before and after playing with the slime.
- If you notice any skin irritation, discontinue use immediately. If you have sensitive skin, wear gloves while making and playing with the slime.
- Slime is a science experiment and should be made and played with in moderation. Do not allow children to make their own slime and do not play with slime for an extended period of time.
Unicorn Slime Ideas
Here are two of our other favorite unicorn slime recipes! This unicorn fluffy slime is so fun to make! It has a fluffy texture to it.
This unicorn slime is glittery and is made with pink, blue and gold glitter. If you want to make glitter unicorn slime see how to make it here.
Share a Comment!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked *
4 comments on “Unicorn Slime Jars”
Could you add shaving cream?
We have a fluffy slime recipe I’d recommend you follow instead, just search fluffy slime on the site. 🙂
We made these with googly eyes and the little ribbon roses that they sell at fabric stores. Our up-cycled baby food jars have turned into delightful party favors for my daughter’s 6th birthday. Thank you for the great idea!!
I love all of the slime. And I just love love the unicorn slime jars their sooooooooo cute!