5 Tips for Living a Happier Life
Parenting is hard. And some days you may want to cry because it’s really HARD. But it’s one of the most rewarding jobs you can have. Today we’re sharing a few tips to help you have more happiness in your life. Because a happy mom or dad makes for a much happier home. This simple quote couldn’t sum it up better, “You can’t pour from an empty cup”.
5 Tips for Living a Happier Life
1. Do more of what you love and less of what you don’t love. This one is pretty simple. Happiness is a compilation of a lot of things, but one thing is for sure: if you’re doing things you love, you’ll have more happiness. Don’t like cleaning? Hire someone to do it. Don’t have the money for it? Then give yourself some slack and figure out a plan to clean less (ex: get the kids involved, lower your standards). Don’t like the negativity of some people you hang out with? Stop hanging out with them. Love to read? Love to play sports? Love to spend time with your kids? GREAT! DO MORE OF THOSE THINGS. The more you do what you love and less of what you don’t love, the happier you’ll be.
2. Learn to say no. A few years ago I joined a neighbourhood board committee. I thought it would be a great way to volunteer. Problem was, it was completely disorganized and I ended up getting plenty of emails a day talking about absolutely nothing important. The disorganization was driving me mad. I wrestled with my inner voice that wanted to quit for some time but finally said the stress was not worth it. I said no and I was so much happier after I quit the committee. So learn to say no to others. Example A: Does you family want you to host Christmas? Say no! Unless you absolutely love hosting if you’re going to be stressed and it’s going to cause you anxiety then practice say N-O.
3. Slow down. We live in such a fast-paced environment these days. A lot of this fast-paced nature is contributing to stress in peoples’ lives. Learn to slow down. Think about the simpler times when they didn’t have technology. People would sit around, talk to each other (I know a weird concept right?), read, write, have hobbies, etc. Slow down and smell those beautiful roses. Don’t worry if you can’t get everything done on your to-do list. Slow down your life and enjoy the moments that really matter. Put that phone down and play with your kids on the floor. Go for a walk. Take some nature in and just live in the moment.
4. Practice appreciation & gratitude. One of the best ways to be happier is to realize how great your life really is. No matter the situation, I can guarantee you there is someone else going through the exact same thing – or worse! When you actually boil down the things in your life that you’re grateful for, you can feel pretty good. Write them down and just look at them. Family, love, kids, you name it – there’s always a reason to be happy.
5. Do something for someone else. Have you ever done a really kind deed without realizing you were doing it and then felt the impact you made after? Sometimes a kind deed doesn’t always have to be donating money or buying the coffee for the person behind you in line. Sometimes a good deed could just be active listening for a friend or holding the door for a new mom struggling to get her stroller through. Try to actively do good for others and you’ll start to see that others will return the favour. You’ll get all the nice warm and fuzzies after too.
What things do you find help you be a happier person?